There are many things about Africa that take some getting used to. Without a doubt I would say that bugs rank high on my list of things I have to learn to tolerate. It's not that they are always bad or scary things, just that they are unfamiliar and a little disquieting at times.
Take this little, prehistoric looking guy. His colors are much more vivid in real life. He's easy to spot as he crosses your path, but he will make your heart skip a beat as he intrudes on your steps and your thoughts.
Now you can meet one of his relatives. I call this little fellow, Racy, because of the orange-red racing stripe down his side.
This is Spike! Well really I don't know what he is called, but I almost stepped on him as I was getting in to the car last Sunday. Such an odd looking caterpillar type thing. Many black and red snakes and spiders are poisonous so I didn't take any chances and touch those spikes to see how they felt.
How's this for a nifty looking beetle?
I love it that he is sporting an African print on his back. I think I have a T-shirt that looks like this.
He was crawling on the outside of my tent and although he looks harmless enough I watched to make sure he didn't try to come inside.
There are some 4 footed critters that are worth mentioning also. Most nights I was able to hear hyenas. Yes, you read correctly I said hyenas. We had a very high,wire fence around the compound and I was assured they could not get in, still if I had to make a quick trek to the bathroom during the night I did wonder! They come out after dusk and hide away when dawn approaches. I made sure I walked around outside when it was bright and sunny, keeping my arms raised high so as to make myself look large. They apparently go for children and women first. Great :-)
These sheep are a little less unnerving than the other creatures I have shown you. They would roam around the compound in the afternoon and often munch grass outside my tent. The brown and white sheep you can see in the middle, I named "Hoppy". He was unable to use one of his front legs so he kind of hopped. You could hear his rhythmic step as he came along the concrete path.
Lastly I wanted you to see this vulture. I was stalking a few of them that liked to hang out near where the rice and beans were cooked over hot coals, behind the kitchen. This particular bird felt that he needed show off a bit. He stood nicely while I took his photo.
Thankfully I have no snakes to show you. There was one very large spider I saw twice in the bathroom at night but I was understandably not carrying my camera.
No comments:
Post a Comment