Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The Big Year

In 2011, a film called " The Big Year", starring Jack Black caught my attention on one of my many overseas flights. If you are a bird enthusiast or you saw the film you will understand some of the following comments, if not, sorry :-(



After an exciting 4 hour safari, it was time for a break and recharge before our afternoon boat cruise on the Nile.
New Zealand friend, Rosalie, and I opted to stop for lunch at Paraa Lodge.

 I'm enjoying a cappuccino by the pool before the buffet lunch on the balcony upstairs, overlooking the Nile. I know, it's tough, but someone has to do it, right?





Here comes our ferry boat! Over here guys, don't forget us.

Rosalie and I were picked up by the boat and we all rolled on down the river toward Murchison Falls.

The stretch of river between Paraa Lodge and the falls is where the famous film, " African Queen" was set, starring Humphrey Bogart and Katharine Hepburn in 1951.



Let me just say, I'm not doing a "Big Year", but if I was I would have had a bonanza day today.

The cruise was not relaxing for me but still very enjoyable. My time was spent listening to our guide, taking photos, looking through binoculars, checking my bird guide book and feeling like my head was on a swivel so that I could see everything there was to see.

This photo looks like a postcard but it's from my not very good camera.
This is the beautiful Grey-Hooded Kingfisher. I also saw the brightly colored Malachite Kingfisher, but didn't have time to snap his photo.
God did not hold back when he designed these colors!







Here's the very imposing African Fish Eagle.

They can carry a fish as heavy as 10 kgs.

We were fortunate enough to see a few of these as they sat in trees or hovered overhead looking for their next meal.




These intricate nests are made by the Weaver bird of which there are many varieties.

When I see these kinds of things I really have to wonder how people can believe in the Big Bang theory, Darwinism etc.

Genesis 1:21, "God created every winged bird, according to it's kind. And God saw that it was good."
Amen to that!





Our boat got up fairly close to the falls so that we could take photos and then turned around.

 At this point you definitely want to stay seated and not lean far over the rails. The current looks swift and strong.

All that water crashing down is almost deafening. It is a spectacular sight.





What is this????  It looks like a giant snake coming up out of the water.
Actually it's called an African Darter or Snake Bird.

A few seconds after I took this, it exploded out of the water and flew off showing it's blackish-brown body.

If I could figure out how to put 2 photos side by side I would show you, but alas my blogging skills only go so far.




Lest you think this is just a birding safari on the Nile, let me show you some other critters, not the least being the Nile Crocodile. Can you imagine how much this guy weighs?

He was just sunning himself by the shore as we cruised along. Let's keep cruising I say and let's not get this boat too close, his beady eyes are on us.





Lots of hippos all along the banks and in the river.

Apparently this Hartebeest is not worried about his nearby companions.

The hippos are so large and look like they would have trouble getting out of their own way, but lets not be fooled. These are very dangerous animals.

I missed a few action shots where they had opened their mouths as if to yawn and let me tell you they have some BIG mouths.




I know it's another bird photo, but I just can't resist. These two Pied Kingfishers are so cute sitting there together.

Really, I'm not doing a "Big Year."

There's still the Red Throated Bee Eater, Shadow Billed Stork, Grey Backed Fiscal, White Back Vulture, Jacana and on and on.. Not doing a "Big Year", nope.






It's reassuring to know that the ferry crossings are well monitored. :-)

Seriously?  You guys look like you are expecting Mutiny on the Ferry!

A thoroughly lovely day here at Murchison Falls National Park.

I hope you have enjoyed the ride.







No comments: