Sunday, April 15, 2012
Trip to Hobart
I think my last blog post I said to check back in a few days for an update, well, a few days has actually turned into a few weeks. If you were waiting with bated breath, I am sorry :-)
If you are not sure exactly where I am let me fill you in a bit. I am from the city of Launceston in northern Tasmania. I have been asked many times if Tasmania is part of Australia and let me make it clear now, it definitely is a state of Australia. It is an island state, just like Hawaii. Not that I am biased or anything but Tasmania is known for it's beautiful, unspoiled scenery, unique animals and more laid back lifestyle that almost always involves outdoor activities.
Last Wednesday my mum and I drove to Hobart to see my aunt. I remember when I was a little girl this journey seemed like it took forever. Now it's just over a 2 hour drive if you go straight through. One of our favorite stops has always been the historic town of Ross. There is a bakery here that serves the best vanilla slice in the country. This is s popular treat to have with a cup of tea or coffee.
The town of Ross is steeped in colonial history. Most of the town's original buildings were constructed in sandstone between 1820-1870.
Ross bridge is one of the oldest and most beautiful in Australia. It was built by two convict stone masons who were granted freedom for their work. It's hard to see at this distance but there are 186 panels, each decorated differently with Celtic symbols, animals and faces of notable people carved into the sandstone.
As we neared Hobart, which is the capital of Tasmania, we could see Mt. Wellington which towers over the city and surrounding areas. My aunt lives just above where I took this photo. The actual city is just beyond the bridge.
The River Derwent flows out to the Tasman Sea. If you keep going south you would wind up in Antarctica and to the east is New Zealand.
My son is familiar with this view as he graduated from the University of Tasmania.
We picked my auntie (she has the orange jacket) up from her self contained unit at a nursing home and took her to lunch. My aunt is 94 and my mum is 92. I felt so young this day!
We enjoyed views of the river and mountain while we ate. Lots of fresh fish on the menu including prawns or shrimp, scallops and Trevially. Since Tasmania is an island, fish is abundant and so good. Of course there are many not so good fish like Great White Sharks lurking in the waters that surround us.
The drive from Launceston to Hobart is down the Midlands Highway. There are gently rolling hills and lots of sheep. Did you know there are more sheep in Australia than people?
There is is an annual meeting for people all over the world that come to class the wool and arrange for exporting the sheep and the valuable wool. Japan is one on the biggest buyers.
I am a sheep collector. I wonder how that happened?
As we made our way home we were treated to an extraordinary sunset. It was the perfect ending to a lovely day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Kerrie, I've been checking everyday and wondering what you were up to. You and your mom look absolutely beautiful. She never changes and I cant believe that she is 92! I am so glad that you got have that nice little trip to see your beautiful country and your auntie. How is you dad doing? Enjoy them and the time you get to spend with them. Give them hugs and greetings from me. Looking forward to talking to you when you get back to the good ole USA! Love you- Jan
Post a Comment