Sunday, June 10, 2012

The time has come!

After 10 days back in Kampala getting ready for going into South Sudan, I think I am almost done with packing, organizing etc. Packing has been challenging to say the least. I don't really know what to expect in terms of conditions or needs and also the exact amount of time I will be staying.

This time I am taking my accommodation with me.  You may recall, Paul, the missionary in the Bible was a tent maker, well now I  have 2 things in common with him. I am also a missionary and will be living in a tent!  Yes, you read correctly. I'm sure many of you have camped and have had experience setting up a tent for a few nights. It's quite another thing to actually contemplate living in one. After some research, Kerry, who is Every Village's in country director for Uganda, found a company to make a tent for me.



 Excitement was building Friday when the tent was picked up and we got to see it for the first time. It is huge, weighing in at 150 kilograms!!!

It took up almost the whole of the back of my car.

Now to unload and see if all the parts are there. Once we get to S. Sudan it's too late to send out for missing pieces.








I decided to go inside and see if there was a place to hang anything and just generally get a feel for it.

 It has that new car smell, or I guess that new tent smell.
The color is great for hot climates and there are plenty of windows.

So now stay tuned for the actual set up and placement in Akot, Southern Sudan in a few days.

Departure is scheduled for early Monday morning and we'll  criss cross the country to work on some projects for Every Village before I settle into my new home.

Not sure how long before I will be up and running with internet so please bear with me.

No comments: