After being back in Kampala for 12 days it was time to get out of the Henderson family's hair. They are always such gracious and hospitable hosts.
Everyone was keeping an eye open and a listening ear for possible places for me to rent or house sit. Many families are just now returning from summer breaks back in the U.S. or in Europe so nothing was coming up. I decided to look online and found a place of interest. A Ugandan realtor named, Lynn, responded to my call. As it happens she got her real estate license and training in Dallas ( I didn't hold that against her) She understood very well the wants and needs of the Mzungu. (white person) God also knew what was best for me and provided magnificently as always.
Lynn took me to 4 places but the second one captured my attention and heart immediatley. Long story short I moved in on Monday 27th.
My apt is #1 on the 3rd floor. It's the one on the left of the screen. It is very modern by Ugandan standards. There is a high fence and good security so I feel safe.
That's my car in the foreground. Let me tell you it's quite a walk from the car to the apartment. Actually there are 151 steps to climb!
Looks like I'll be getting lots of exercise :-)
Here's the view from my balcony. Not bad eh?
Before you go getting any ideas, this is not a beach resort. The body of water you see in the distance is Lake Victoria. It looks pretty but looks can be deceiving.
There is a disease called Bilharzia, that is fairly common here. You can get sick from any kind of water activity in this lake.
I'll just enjoy the view.
If you want to locate me on Google look for Spear Rd. I am between Kampala University and Wentz Medical Center. It is in the area known as Gaba.
Now before you go thinking I live in some ritzy neighborhood let me show you the view from my back balcony.
This is the scene literally right below the apartment building. The main building shown does not have running water, in fact you can just see a yellow jerry can inside an open cement block. This is where they wash clothes etc.
There are several chickens that I have seen come and go inside the doors. I don't think there is electricity either. They get their lighting as it spreads over the fence from our building. No zoning laws in effect here!
One of the reasons I love this place, beside the view, is the location away from the usual hustle and bustle that is Kampala. It's great to wake up in the morning hearing the sounds of abundant bird life. In one of my umpteen flights recently I saw the movie "The Big Year". I think I could really get into "birding" I just found out recently that Uganda provides one of the best opportunities in the world for bird watching due to the ridiculous amount of species found here. I can't remember the exact amount, but I think if I am going to do it, now is a good time.
No comments:
Post a Comment