Today is a dreary day of sorts outside. It started during the night with the gentle rain coming down, it seemed continuously, and some occasional thunder. No morning sun on the horizon across the lake when I pulled back the curtains at about 6:30. I am thankful that there is no loud call to prayer from the nearby mosque, however they make up for it around 12:30, 4 and 7pm.
At first I was really annoyed that they can make as much noise and disturb the rest of us, even if I don't want to hear it, I have to. I could actually hear the guy breathe over the microphone! I had to quickly get over this attitude because daily life would be miserable. Now I just use it as a reminder to pray to the ONE, TRUE, LIVING GOD. If they can pray at least 4 X a day, so can I.
My neighborhood is quite diverse. There are rich and poor, Muslim and Christian, Caucasian and Black or Indian. I haven't ventured out today to explore the neighborhood due to the weather, but I have been watching out my windows. I have a small balcony on the side, off my bedroom. From here I have a good view of Kampala University, Gaba Campus, but that's not where my attention is drawn.
Just over the fence from our compound there is a small, mud building with cracks in the wall covered by a tin roof that doesn't look like it is capable of withstanding high winds. I suspect drenching rains may be a problem inside. The building is bad enough, but that's not what I find so disturbing.
There are several children who live here and none of them seem to go to school. I have watched them run around the house in a game of chase and what may be Hide and Seek. They play in the dirt or help their mother with chores, like digging or fetching water.
Life here is unfair, unequal and unjust. Education is so necessary for change to occur. My mind drifts to South Sudan,just to the north of us. Here, young girls in particular, are very often denied an education. Instead they tend cattle or goats, carry and care for children who are smaller than themselves, gather food and firewood and haul huge amounts of water for the rest of the family. If they are fortunate they will be acquired by a kind man who is not a decade or more older than them and will have the opportunity to be a person not just an object.
Well anyway, back to the family over the fence, what can I do to help? My heart aches for the injustice of it all. I can and will pray for them and for the government to be aware and pro active in understanding their responsibilities in educating ALL of Uganda's future generations.
No comments:
Post a Comment