Monday, January 7, 2013

Houston Highlights

I am absolutely astounded that my last post was in early November! I could have sworn it seemed like just a few weeks ago. The days have been marching by at an alarming rate.

As most of you know by now I flew back to Houston, arriving there November 29th to be present at my son, Daniel's wedding on Dec. 9th.

 I found out that I had no time for jet lag and got busy preparing for a Bridal Tea on Dec. 2nd that I helped host at my friend, Kaki's house. Such fun with dear, longtime friends who came to bless the bride to be.

It was so very elegant with crystal glasses, bone china cups, finger sandwiches and among other delicacies, cranberry scones with jam and cream.

With the shower over and one week until the wedding I needed to kick it into high gear. No time to think about Christmas at all, kept telling myself, "focus, Kerrie, focus."I loved listening to Christmas carols in the car as I ran around with errands. It was hard going into stores though and just not looking at things that I knew I needed to purchase before Christmas. I was very happy to be able to join my former BSF class for 2 lessons. It was great seeing familiar faces again.

Next was the matter of printing ceremony programs and putting together wedding favors. My talented daughter, Janelle took care of the programs, although it was not without a hiccup. I wish the print paper came with a HUGE label that says watermarked! It's no fun choosing the paper, printing it and then seeing the name of the company in the middle of the program ( UGH ! )

Another sweet friend came to my rescue to help with 150 wedding favors. Thanks to Kathy who happened to be in town all the way from Jakarta :-)

After applying stickers that said
"Daniel and Amber the perfect blend", the Cappuccino mix was  carefully measured and poured into bags. Next came rubber bands and ribbons.

Some sore fingers later, Kathy and I enjoyed a nice lunch and chat at a nearby restaurant.


I so enjoyed being at home with my daughter, son in law and 3 grandchildren. I was able to visit Liberty's school where she attends kindergarten and see some of her activities. Mema was in high demand for story time, hugs and just some extra attention.




Saturday, the 8th dawned and it was time for the wedding rehearsal. The venue was lovely and it seemed like everything was falling into place for the big day.

The flower girl and ring bearers, along with the rest of us get some instructions and it seems everyone is ready.

Sometimes looks can be deceiving, when in fact all three grandchildren were in some stage of sickness with a nasty flu. So thankful for Ibuprofen and Tylenol and lots of prayers.






Rehearsal dinner at  South American restaurant, Tango and Malbec in Houston.
Food was delicious and it was nice to just relax and celebrate with wedding attendants and close friends, some who traveled very far to be with us, like Cameron from Australia and Fadi from Toronto, Canada.




Weather forecast for Sunday, December 9th was not very encouraging. Since my daughter and son in law got married during Tropical Storm Allison in 2001 I was feeling a bit anxious about it. Not to fear, God had it all under control. We did have a little scare though for about 45 seconds when pre wedding photos were being taken and several rain drops fell.  As it happened the front that was forecast never came until around 11pm at night :-)




Sometimes, it's hard to wait. Three little people watching and waiting for this "wedding thing" to begin.











And then, before you know it, with the blink of an eye and a few tears shed by the mothers, the vows are spoken and the long prepared for moment is over.

My son in law officiated and was happy to present the new couple, Mr and Mrs. Snow.



I could display lots of photos but of course I can't. Happy times were had by all at the reception and at the end of the day I had lots to thank God for, not the least being my lovely new daughter in law.

With the wedding behind us and the newlyweds off on their honeymoon, it became time to turn my attention to Christmas. I made lots of quick trips out to the stores and tried not to get caught up in materialism madness.

Christmas Day was fun, especially because I was able to spend it with my entire, immediate family, those in the northern hemisphere anyway. It's hard being split between my parents and my children and grandchildren.

Just 2 days after Christmas I left Houston and traveled via the Middle East back to Kampala. My next blog will be about my first week back and life here.



No comments: