Do you ever look around you, I mean really look? What is it that you see? Today as I was driving to the store I asked God to show me what he sees when he looks down here on Kampala.
Shortly after I asked God, the city skyline came into view. I thought well... it looks modern enough and fairly impressive from a distance but what about all the corruption and greed in government, the lack of concern for the poor ?
What can I do?
All along the way I see people carrying or pushing heavy loads.
Sometimes it's women with huge baskets or bundles on top of their heads and then there is always a man with a bicycle loaded down with bananas, coal, timber or crates full of bottles. It's so heavy he can barely push it.
Life is hard and everyone has to do whatever it takes to make some money to live.
How can I help?
Inevitably I will come across street children, disabled men in wheelchairs in the middle of traffic and young mothers carrying lethargic babies on their backs.
All of them will be begging for food and money. It haunts me. Today two young mothers came beside my car. I offered some lame sugar cookies and a bottle of water. I watched them in my rear view mirror as they moved on to the cars behind me.
I started to cry, "Oh God, do you see that? It breaks my heart, I know it breaks yours."
How do I respond to what I see?
Matthew 9:36 says "When Jesus saw the crowds, he had compassion on them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd."
Today I'll pray for the Shepherd to have mercy on all I see and that somehow they can know the HOPE of a better future through Christ.

No comments:
Post a Comment