Saturday, March 30, 2013

Good Friday in Yei

On mission trips into S. Sudan with Every Village, we usually end each day by asking team members to share their highlights and low lights for the day. I am on a mission here so I have decided to share these same things with you.
I really enjoyed my first full day in Yei, yesterday. I woke up to the sound of some of the 160 orphan children who live on Harvesters compound, singing. They were up and about to begin morning chores. 400 children attend school, but only 160 actually live here full-time.


As soon as breakfast was over Linda, two of her children and I made hot cross buns. The dough had to be ready by 11 am so it could be put in the big oven where large volumes of food is cooked daily for the  orphanage.

So great to finish hospital rounds and then eat hot, buttered buns and enjoy a cup of tea :-)

Doctors, Graham and Rebecca look happy with this treat!



After arrival on Thursday I got to tour the compound and walked through the different areas of His House of Hope. Friday morning I got a bit more up close and personal with what is happening there.

Truth is, miracles are taking place. What a joy to see women and their newborns being skillfully and lovingly cared for in this environment. South Sudan has the highest rate in the world for maternal mortality and 7th highest for infant mortality.



I had the opportunity to get to know this lovely young woman who gave birth spontaneously at 33 weeks. One of the reasons I came to visit was so I could learn more about the challenges woman face and how I could address those issues as I write radio lessons.

I sat and talked fairly easily as Shida knows a little English.

I am thankful for some training in mother/baby nursing in the U.S., being on hand for the birth of 3 grandchildren and various experiences in Africa that has enabled me to offer some post natal teaching.

Along with seeing some of these women whose birth experience has been positive, the lowlights of the day are in recognizing that there are still thousands of women who will not get to a hospital because there is no transport available, the distance is too far and they have no money or resources or because of ignorance or lack of education they will suffer needlessly at home.




It's fun to see families doing what is "normal"just like they would do if they were still in their own country.

Here you can see some of the Poole family dying eggs :-)  Missionary kids (MK's) face lots of challenges as they grow up in unfamiliar cultures, but the eternal blessings far outweigh the difficulties.








No comments: