Since I am blogging for my own pleasure and to help me in recalling specific events in the future, I need to finish the story of my weekend getaway at Murchison Falls.
I checked with many tour companies and compared resorts, prices etc before settling on the one that was right for me.
At the time I booked tented accommodation was the only kind available.
I am recalling when I was at Masai Mara and stayed in a luxury safari tent complete with tiled bathroom, hot running water, beds turned down with a hot water bottle in the cool of the evening, plus a hot drink and snack early morning before a safari drive. Aah! So lovely.
This tent can't be compared. Before I left a friend who had already been there described it as rustic. Very accurate. I was literally only there to sleep and found it adequate and comfortable.
Do you remember a few blogs ago, I told you about the bat problem I had in my apartment and how I prayed Psalm 91? Well that Psalm proved invaluable again at the camp.
Yes, what you see are wart hogs and yes, that is a tent that they are near.
We were informed not to keep anything in the tent that had a sweet odor, such as body lotions, any snack foods etc as the animals DO come and hunt for food.
I didn't even put my my Key Lime Pie lip gloss on before I went to sleep. I took the warning seriously. Unfortunately some other campers weren't careful and a wart hog tore a hole in the side of the tent and took some food. Psalm 91 verse 9-10 says that if God is my dwelling and refuge then no harm would befall me and no disaster would come near my tent! As I put my head on the pillow, I put my trust in His Word. I also had to trust as I made a run for the bathroom in the dead of night, with my headlamp on.
The dining area was pleasant for conversation and watching the sun rise on the horizon over Murchison National Park and the Nile below.
The meal servings were huge and very reasonably priced.
Now if it's luxury you are looking for, then may I recommend a night's stay at the lodge where the Queen Mother stayed in 1952?
It only costs $600 a night! A bargain right?
It does come with a wonderful view of the Nile River below and your personal cook and maid service.
Anyway, something to keep in mind if you are so inclined.
Here's a bit of trivia I found fascinating. This site has a blue marker as it designates the spot where author, Ernest Hemingway and his wife, escaped a plane crash on the bank of the Nile in 1954.
A few days later they were in a second plane crash while trying to fly out of northern Uganda.
At this point they resorted to road travel. Can't imagine why.
Hemingway's reputation says that he was a heavy drinker, but our guide was quick to tell us that he helped many people during his visit to Uganda.
No post would be complete without some bird photos. This is the Black-headed Weaver. They were everywhere at the campsite, even sitting on the chairs next to us.
These are the ones that make the tiny round nests I showed in a previous blog from the Nile ferry trip.
I know I am jumping around a bit with topics but didn't want to forget the most delicious fresh pineapple snacks we were offered at the falls and then again during our game drive. Thanks to our driver/guide, Hassan. So juicy and sweet, literally dripping down our arms.
I was keeping a close eye on what was in close range and line of sight. Huge hippos were not more than 30 meters from us. I have photos but don't want to show you hippos again.
So let's go on to this interesting creature. Bet you can't guess what it is?
Let me introduce you to the Abyssinian Ground Horn-bill. He's so strange looking and somewhat awkward. Kind of has a turkey like appearance.
This is a male with his red inflatable throat pouch.
Well I could go on and on, it's all so fascinating but I have already posted 8 photos on this blog alone so better stop while I'm ahead and you're not too bored. If you see me, just ask about my other bird photos, and I'll be happy to show you. Maybe I should write a travel guide? Hmm..
1 comment:
Hi Kerrie. Believe it or not, we had an Abyssinian Ground Hornbill right near our compound the other day. Such a strange looking bird! I was wondering what it was called--got the answer from your blog! Jan
Post a Comment