Monday, October 8, 2012
Bird Watching
As I think I mentioned a few weeks ago I am becoming an avid bird watcher. I love sitting on my balcony, especially around 4-5 pm and watching the birds perched on nearby roof tops, in trees and flying by right in front of me. I get so excited when I am able to spy on them a little closer with my binoculars and then note distinguishing marks so I can look them up in my picture guide to East African Birds. I am placing check marks by the ones I have seen.
Here's what I have so far.
Isn't he beautiful?
This is the Splendid Glossy Starling. I would say he is splendid indeed. There were about 7 or 8 of these guys in a nearby tree. What a brilliant flash of color as they flew off.
Meet the Glossy Ibis.
When I first saw him on a roof top, I kept blinking as I thought the sun was playing tricks on me, but nope, his wings are a glistening green. Such a striking fellow!
So amazing and intricate are his colors and markings.
This is the White-Throated Bee-eater.
I was fortunate enough to see him and a couple of his buddies perched on a tree branch in a small park down by the lake when I went for a walk a few days ago.
I took a few photos but they weren't nearly as clear as this one.
The Black Kite is easily identified by his yellow feet and beak. As a bird of prey he's always on the move overhead. I frequently see him with his feathers outspread and his wedge like tail soaring by.
The last bird on show today is the Pied Crow.
He is very common, but I don't think his appearance can be termed common. What a commanding presence!
He's great at cleaning up litter and likes large insects. I'm all for that.
Well, I hope you have enjoyed getting to know some of these beautiful birds. I just don't know how people think they could have just evolved? Only God could have created such variety with colors and distinct markings.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment