Have you ever had days when your heart just hurts? No, I don't mean like a heart attack, just a sad and heavy heart.
It's still wet season here in Uganda and this morning, just before dawn, I heard the sound of distant thunder rumbling, lightning was flashing through a gap in the curtains and not long after I heard the familiar sound of the rain against the window. The skies have remained threatening all day and the dark clouds have released their loads a couple of times. I would not do well in Seattle, where's the sunshine?
I still managed to find a short time that I could go onto the balcony and enjoy the birds. Between rain showers they sang their morning songs of praise. I liked the idea of praise even when I didn't feel like it, so I put on my new favorite CD by Selah and sang along. Even though my voice would not be considered a crowd pleaser, I believe God was pleased.
There is so much happening in the world that it's enough to make you miserable on any given day. All the news stories from the BBC ran around in my head, the elections, Syria, a 14 yr. old in Pakistan, 10th anniversary of Bali bombing and on and on. I finally turned it off and turned to God with all my worries and burdens. I prayed for each and every member of my family. I prayed for all the things going on with my organization, Every Village. I prayed for friends and world events. I released all these things to God, after all there is not a thing I alone can do about anything.
Later on when the rain seemed to be done for the day I decided to take a walk. Not exactly a smart idea since the dirt roads are now slippery and muddy. Not sure why, but it seems that boda drivers can't resist trying to knock you off your feet. I can't figure out if they are so busy staring at the Mzungu that they misjudge how close they are coming or if they think they are better drivers than they actually are.
While I was walking, I came across a little girl, probably about 4 years old. She was standing in her raggedy clothes, no shoes and sucking her thumb. At her feet was a baby I'm guessing around 12 months old. She was equally poorly dressed as she supported herself to stand, by holding onto the older girl's hand with one of her little hands and then grabbing on to the girls lower leg to steady her own wobbly legs. I looked around for an adult. No one was in sight. My heart ached. I had moved to the other side of the path as I passed them as the baby looked like she was going to cry at the sight of the Mzungu. Unfortunately this is an all too familiar picture around here. Actually, I wanted to take her photo but didn't want to violate her privacy. I want to remember these moments. Children taking care of children. I think of my own grandchildren who aren't allowed in the enclosed back yard without supervision.
My body and my mind move on from this scene. I think about all the unfairness that I see here. I feel the anger rising up. Why don't all children go to school, why is there no access to clean drinking water for everyone, why is there so much sickness and poor medical care, why does filthy garbage litter the streets, why is there corruption in government and terrible road conditions?
The answer to all this and more is?
It all started back in the Garden of Eden. God provided everything and it was good. If Adam and Eve had only obeyed that one little rule. Thankfully, He made a way out in His great mercy and grace. So many people all around me need to know that same God so instead of pitying looks and a hurting heart I must continue pray to the One who can change things.
I wonder why you see around you and what are you doing about it?
No comments:
Post a Comment