Monday, October 15, 2012

Follow up from 10/14

Late yesterday afternoon I was headed back to my apartment and saw Rebekah's sliding glass door open. I was about to just go upstairs to my place but something made me go and say hi. As I approached the door I saw a man sitting on her sofa. I quickly apologized and said I'm sorry to intrude. They both immediately invited me in. So in I went, sending up arrow prayers as I sat down.

For the next hour I got to know Rebekah's "husband." I listened intently as I sipped some sort of hot drink. It was not coffee or tea, just can't really describe it, but very sweet. Of course it didn't help that I put 1/2 tsp sugar in before I even tasted it. ( Kerrie, what were you thinking? )

I will call him Mr. X. It turns out he is in his 40s and has a high position at his country's consulate here. He became a Christian as a child through a priest in the Catholic church in Khartoum. This same church was one started by the Camboni's back in the 1600s. If you look back at my blog from June you will see I visited a hospital in Mapourdit. This hospital is also affiliated with the Camboni's. Mr. X started a church there!  He speaks, Dinka, Nuer, Arabic, English and Swahili. He had much to tell me about the history if his country, politics, religious beginnings from the land of Cush and much more.

We will visit again in the future as he wants to share with me health teachings he wrote for the radio. He also has a degree in Journalism and International Relations. A busy man for sure.
Was this a chance meeting? Absolutely not. Can't wait to see where it will all lead.
Stay tuned for the next episode coming soon.

No comments: