Just wanted you all to know there is hope for health care in Kampala. In fact the name of the ward I visited yesterday is Hope Ward. There were 4 Ugandan ladies and myself. We split into 2 groups and went from bed -bed. I was both surprised and pleased as soon as I walked through the doors and saw the brightly colored walls with different animals painted on them and immediately noticed the absence of any bad smells, the shiny floors and the next big thing to hit me was the crisp, white sheets on each bed.
I am still not clear on how you gain entry to this ward but I know it's for those who can't afford to pay anything. The first young boy we visited is named Wilson. He is 15 but looked not a day over 10. His family locked him in a house without food or attention for a year. He was just skin and bones initially. Now he suffers from seizures and is not able to walk. He just stared off blankly into space. I touched his arm and he gripped mine. I finally coaxed him in to letting go by replacing my arm with 2 cookies. His aunt was sitting at his bedside reading her Bible when we came in. We prayed for God to restore what has been taken from him. In the bed opposite we met Rogers, a five year old, whose mother died in a house fire and he suffered burns to both eyes. He seemed to be sleeping while we talked with his care giver. Underneath his bloodied eye bandages I could see the effects of the burns. It breaks my heart and I know it breaks God's.
The 2 other patients we met were clean and obviously well cared for. They actually had signs above the bed indicating some daily procedures that needed to be carried out and named the nurse who was responsible for their care.
This hospital known as International Hospital of Kampala (I.H.K) was started by an Irishman. I believe he is still the CEO.
Next week I will be at yet another hospital to join a team from U.S.A for the afternoon. Fellow Aid Sudan team member, Nathan, who is the director of the Dallas office will be with this group.
No comments:
Post a Comment