Saturday, June 25, 2011

The Nile






Sometimes it's just time to head out of Dodge and this weekend was it. Last week was a very busy week and the Aid Sudan family felt in need of some refreshment. At 6 am Friday morning we headed south east about 82 kms from Kampala to Jinja. We left early to avoid traffic in and around Kampala. It turned out to be very foggy so didn't see much on the way down. We arrived at about 8:30 and dropped off Cassandra at the Adrift rafting company. She was gone all day. Class 3-5 rapids did not appeal to me! Check her blog for info on her day :-) Meanwhile, Kerry, Neltia, their 3 boys and I relaxed at a place high on the banks of the Nile. After a late breakfast we sat on a terrace overlooking part of the Nile near Bujagali Falls. Monkeys played in the trees and beautiful little red breasted birds flew by. We could see the Nile as it rapidly flowed below us and we could certainly hear the sound of the water as it roared and spilled over the rocks in a couple of places upstream. Before it got too hot we walked a little way down the road to see the falls up close. It's amazing to think of this mighty river traveling north about 6500 kms to the Mediterranean. I really enjoyed swinging in the hammock outside my room and gazing at the incredible view. While I was there I called my grand daughter on skype to wish her a happy 4th birthday. I asked her if she remembered the story of baby Moses being put in a basket on the river. She said "yes" I told her that "Mema" was looking at that same river. It's amazing to think of. At night as I lay in my bed I was lulled to sleep by the sound of the falls. Aah, so peaceful :-) My bedtime prayer was thanking God for the beauty of His creation. Since there are no zoning laws in Kampala there are many loud sounds at night that you just have to deal with. As a matter of fact as I write this back at the house there is a wedding reception going on over the back fence. I mean literally over the fence. Apparently the vice president of the country is a guest. It is incredibly loud and they are only just getting started at 8:30pm. It's going to be a looong night!
I am happy to have had rest and refreshment.

No comments: