You know the saying a picture paints a thousand words, well, I want a thousand words to paint a picture for you. I did not take any photos when I visited Mulago Hospital today. The things I saw there are printed on my heart and my mind. This is the largest public hospital in Uganda. Some of you may remember me talking about a visit I made there in the summer of 2009. I have never been able to put that visit out of my mind. It was a lot more traumatic than this visit but this one has also greatly impacted me. I went there to join some Ugandan women who have committed to visit the sick in 3 different hospitals. We go to one a week. Cassandra also joined us this day. I was greatly encouraged to go firstly to an office that is called "COME" It is run by an Australian, but I have yet to meet her. The volunteers go out onto the wards to bathe, feed and clothe patients who have no one to care for them. You might be asking "what do the nurses do?" That's a good question that I am asking. It seems like NOTHING is the answer.
Let me set the scene; we meet up with a lovely young woman named Edith that will guide us around. Anybody wishing to visit patients to help them without being family must go with a guide. The reason for this is some supposed "helpers" went in and took patient belongings etc. Can you imagine being ill and then someone robs you at your bedside? We decided that we wanted to visit patients in the Emergenc
No comments:
Post a Comment