Saturday, July 30, 2011

Faces

Life is busy here in Kampala. Some days require a lot of driving around from hill to hill to accomplish daily tasks. There is one particular road/corner that I think I have talked about before. It is a very busy intersection. Waiting time can sometimes be long, especially if the traffic police are directing instead of letting the lights do the work. Somehow the police make a mess of it. Anyway that's another story. Street vendors are in full force along this stretch of the road and unfortunately this is where the homeless and beggars gather. I saw the woman in the photo approaching. My heart breaks when I see the women and children dressed in filthy, tattered clothes, whose lives are reduced to walking this busy, dirty road to beg for food. This lady did not speak English but managed to tell me the baby's name was Simon. I said a quick prayer out loud for the woman and Simon as I handed her a small pack of cookies. God cares for them.

No comments: