Thursday, August 4, 2011

Comedy of Errors



Tues night was Bible study as usual. What was not usual was the location. One of the Koreans, Abraham, wanted us all to come to his house. He likes to cook so he invited us at 6:30 for supper.I send out text messages to everyone the day of and remind them of the time and which chapter we are studying so that hopefully they will read in advance (hopefully being the key word) I never hear back from anyone so you never know if they got the message or not or if they are coming. The reason for this is the cost of airtime. They don't want to waste their minutes or shillings. Well anyway I set out for Ae Soo's house ( Korean woman) as she told me to meet there. As I was getting ready to turn to her place she suddenly appeared on the main road and waved us into Abraham's place. No problem. Abraham had the table set with Korean appetisers. Meat patties with yummy herbs and spices and also mushroom mixed with egg that had been fried. Next we were served a huge mound of spaghetti and washed it down with cold South African Rooibos tea! It was a great meal and sweet fellowship. We all then moved to the sofa around the coffee table. I brought out the Zucchini cake from my place, but everyone was still full from supper. We got started with our study from Genesis chapter 25. When I began with this group back in May I jumped in on chapter 17. We are slowly, but surely moving along. We were about half way through when I got a phone call. One of the ladies who is Sudanese called and said she was standing at my front gate. Her English is very difficult to understand, especially on the phone. I was trying to figure out what to tell her. Sweet Abraham said he would go and get her. So off he goes and we just sat around talking until they came back. Unfortunately no sooner had he gone than the electricity went out. We didn't know where the candles were but found a flashlight so we weren't in complete darkness. Abraham was back quickly and we were able to continue. It turned out the Sudanese lady was at the hospital and thought she would come to my house at 8pm and I would still be there. Something was lost in the translation of the text message:-( We finished by praying for some difficult issues that they are going through. Thank goodness there are no language barriers with God.

1 comment:

Cassandra said...

I LOVE this!! I bet that was so much fun, especially given the Kopi misunderstanding AND the power outage. People just do not understand that there is NO such thing as a NORMAL day in Uganda!! =)