Saturday, March 10, 2012

Bush Clinic

Friday morning we loaded up the Land Cruiser with supplies. There were 6 of us, Doctor Tom, myself and 4 clinical workers. Our journey to the village of Malone involved traveling approximately 12 miles, some of which was on the "main" road and I use that term loosely, but most of it was on a dirt track. We passed herds of cows, mud huts and almost ran into several goats as they crossed our path. Finally we stopped at the clinic site located under a big, shady tree.
The patients start gathering quickly once they see the vehicle pull up. The clinical workers got busy setting up the pharmacy and registering patients. Each patient has their temperature taken and are weighed before they see the doctor.
It's hard to tell from a distance if Doctor Tom is seeing patients or running a veterinary clinic!  Cows and goats wandered about among us.


Many people, especially men, don't come to see the doctor but just visit socially under the tree. They were keeping a close watch on me so I decided to go and speak with them.

With the help of a translator I moved into their circle, sitting next to the village chief for some question and answer time.

I was asking about the problems they face. They were quick to answer. No roads, no clinic nearby, no food and no clean water.
Hmmm! What do you say to that?

Village chief is seated on the chair
After some quick thinking and sending up arrow prayers to God I thought it best to tell them about my God who is bigger than the sum of all their problems.

The Sudanese have a long held tradition of story telling. There is a 1% literacy rate so they have depended on oral learning.

 They enjoyed hearing stories from the Bible about Creation, Adam and Eve, Noah, Abraham and finally Jesus. Periodically they asked questions.  At the end we said a prayer together that they might have a relationship with the One who created them and knows about all of their needs.  I know that my words are just that, words, but I pray that God who knows each and every one of those who heard would "set my words on fire" for His glory. (Oswald Chambers, "My Utmost for His Highest")

No comments: