Thursday, March 15, 2012

Up, up and away!

The day dawned like most others in Tonj except today was the day I was leaving.  I was having mixed feelings as I did last minute packing and checking that I wasn't forgetting anything. I was glad to be going back to what has become the norm ( if normal is even possible in Africa)  but sad to leave people that I enjoyed ministering alongside.
I have seen God do mighty things since I have been on the In Deed and Truth compound and memories of my time here will not soon fade away.
From time to time permanent staff of the IDAT team goes on a little R & R. Many of the people are from Kenya so Esther and Pritty were on the flight as well as Pastor Joe and Nancy who have tirelessly taught local pastors for the past 2 months. IDAT ministry head, Sabet, also flew out to attend to family matters in Nairobi.
Our initial flight to Rumbek was a short  20 minute hop away. This is the same place I drove 2 hours to on Monday only to find the flight canceled. After dealing with visa issues we loaded up again bound for South Sudan's capital, Juba.

On the ground in Juba we parked amidst relief organization planes such as Doctors without Borders, U.N. World Food Program and Oxfam.

South Sudan is very reliant on aid due to the effects of years of war and the on going struggles as this very new country gets on it's feet.

We changed planes and settled in for the direct 3 hour and 20 minute flight to Nairobi.




A view of the Nile River in Juba
Although 3 hours and 20 minutes doesn't sound that long it can seem like an eternity when the turbulence is persistent.
Our MAF pilot ,whose wife and child were on board with us, commented he had never in his 6 years of flying in this part of Africa known such a sustained, rough ride.
 It wasn't like where it is so bumpy you have to raise your hands to the ceiling of the small plane to steady yourself so as to keep from bumping your head above you, but still hard to deal with. ( I have enjoyed those rides too)
 I was very glad I took an anti motion sickness pill.

Anyway, we landed just before 4 pm. I checked into the African Inland Mission (AIM) guesthouse where my son and I stayed in December. I enjoyed a wonderful meal and got to know 2 families at the dinner table. AIM guesthouse also known as the Mayfield is a hub for missionaries all over East Africa. I love hearing stories of what God is doing in many parts of the world.


No comments: