The building looked fairly new. No one appeared to be around so I peeked in the door to find 9 clean beds awaiting patients.
I found out later that this is where people who suffer from malnutrition are brought for treatment.
It interesting to note from the sign that Korea is a financial supporter.
When I walked out to the back of the building I discovered several mothers with their children, ranging in age from infant to toddler.
I loved the little guy taking his bath in a basin. Other than the protruding belly he looked fairly good.
They were all just sitting there with their mats and sheets spread out over the dirt. I asked permission to take their photos and they were delighted when I showed them the screen. Most people here have never seen themselves in a photo. Next time I need to bring a Polaroid.
These little tots caught my immediate attention in their matching shirts. The one in the foreground is definitely the healthier of the two. The twin in the background has some folds around his tiny hiney and that, combined with his very skinny legs, are sure signs of malnutrition. It is a common occurence in South Sudan especially at this time of year. There has been no rain now for over 4 months and of course no crops.
So you might be asking, "what do people eat?" The other day when I was walking back from the school I saw these women who started smiling so I went over to see what they had in the big drum.
It was around 100 degrees outside and I could feel even more intense heat on my legs as I neared the middle of what was their kitchen.
Inside the drum, which was filled to about half way was a milky -grey, very liquidy type porridge. It probably had a sorghum base. Didn't look appetizing and I know it's not very nutritious. It is however the staple here. At least the mangos are starting to ripen and that will help for a little while.
Next time you are at the supermarket and have all those choices, would you please pray for people of South Sudan.
No comments:
Post a Comment