Monday, June 6, 2011

nightly activities





I am guessing most of you sit down in the evenings to watch TV, put your feet up and are not too distracted. Not so here. We have a nightly mosquito invasion. It happens as the sun sets which is about 7pm. We close all the doors, leaving the screened windows open as they are all day. The temperature allows for open windows day and night, year round. It's lovely :-) Next we get ourselves situated in our appointed chairs and wait for the onslaught. We are armed and dangerous however. We have our bug zapping rackets at the ready! These are rechargeable and very handy to have. You have to remember mosquitoes here can carry malaria. We are just not being obsessive! There is a funny story to tell about how I got my racket. Again we were driving through traffic and there is one section near the center of Kampala where there are a lot of people peddling their goods. They move between the cars in extreme peril trying desperately to sell you phone cards for air time, fruit, newspapers, sunglasses, maps and these bug zappers among other things. One man came over and showed me the zapper. I asked how much, to which he replied 20,000 shillings. I said "What? that's too much" He immediately dropped it to 10,000 and proceeds to shove it in the car and lay it on the dashboard. Bear in mind I am waiting for the light to change. I said" no I don't want it". He kept pushing and I kept pushing the other way. The light changed and I moved on. A few days later I did buy one for 10,000.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kerrie,
we use those bug rackets here too! They are GREAT! :)
love you!
laurel