Thursday, December 1, 2011

Back in Africa


Hello again from Kampala. I arrived safely just before midnight on Tues night. One of the highlights of my trip from Amsterdam to Nairobi was seeing the sun set from my window. The sun was a brilliant orange and I was able to watch it set completely. Directly below was I think the Sahara and the Nile River. It was an amazingly beautiful sight. Wednesday is kind of a fog as tried to get my bearings and navigate my way through some pressing needs. I had to go across town and although my driving on the left side was okay I did once try to get in the car on the wrong side and of course I put on the wipers a few times instead of the turn signal :-(
Most big shopping areas have a security guard at the entrance and they check in you glove compartment and take a mirror on a long wand and swipe it under the car before you are allowed to enter. Sometimes it can be very funny, yesterday was no exception. The very pleasant guard asked me if I was carrying any firearms. Surprise! I said no. he then asked if I was having a nice life today. I replied yes and he waved me through. Makes you feel really safe about would be terrorist in public places.
After a not very good sleep, since my body clock is still on Houston time, I went to see a potential place to live. Looks like I'll be moving in on Saturday afternoon for one month. More about that later. Time for an afternoon nap now to catch up and be refreshed for an Aid Sudan team meeting this afternoon.

No comments: