Saturday, December 31, 2011

New Years Eve 2011

Well here we go again. I wrote this post once and even viewed it to see how it looked and all was okay. I came along late yesterday and it was gone. Let's see if I can recap. Daniel left just after midnight, early on the 31st so he can make it back to Houston to celebrate with his girlfriend and others. I was invited to join the Livingston family to see the new year in. We watched fireworks from the top of their garage. We were pretty impressed with the display we could see on many of the hills that surround us. Since they live around the corner and down the hill from me I didn't have to worry about crazy party goers on the roads as I returned home.
I went to bed thinking about what may lie ahead in 2012. Here's a thought that I liked.

No Fear in the New Year
(by Chek Phang Hia, from Our Daily Bread 12/30/08)

Hours before 2007 began, some friends of ours in the UK were aboard their boat, anticipating the arrival of the new year, when a violent storm struck. But they were able to send us this reassuring note: "John and Linda are sitting on board the good ship Norna, and happy to say that we are secure. . . . The wind is storm force ten [48-55 knots]. Hope that all of you have a happy and prosperous new year."

Jesus' disciples also encountered a stormy experience. They were on the Sea of Galilee when a windstorm whipped up (Mark 6:48). The storm was so violent that despite being experienced fishermen who knew the lake well, they feared for their lives. But Jesus walked out to them and saved them.

No one can predict with certainty how stormy the new year will be. We do know, though, that everyone will face storms. But we who have Jesus have our future securely moored to Him. Jesus, who did not fail us in the past, will not fail us in the future.

Lewis Edgar Jones aptly described our situation in his old hymn:

I've anchored in Jesus, the storms of life I'll brave;
I've anchored in Jesus, I'll fear no wind or wave.
I've anchored in Jesus, for He hath power to save;
I've anchored to the Rock of Ages!

How will you fare in the storms of the new year? If you're anchored in Jesus, you have nothing to fear.

Faith in Christ will keep us steady in the stormy sea of change. Happy New Year!

No comments: