Tuesday, May 3, 2011

I've got wheels!


Yeah! today I bought my first Ugandan vehicle. I had been wondering what car to get and how I was going to go about it, but as always God was one step ahead of me and had it all planned out. The car was purchased from an Australian family, so you know already I was happy with the deal:-) Michael had been a mechanic in Australia and had taken great care of the car. He was the second owner and the first owner was also a "muzungu" This is a big plus as it gave reassurance that the car had been properly maintained according to western standards. The price was another bonus as it was not nearly as much as I had budgeted. In case you cant tell from the photo it's a Mitsubishi Pajero. 2 door, diesel and automatic with 4 W.D. So important here. I set off this evening for my first drive to a friends house on the other side of the hill. I found out I am not really keen to drive at night. People here drive with their headlights on full or high beam. It's blinding. I had to stop a few times until they passed. It's hard to see local people walking on the road due to their skin color and the fact that there are no street lights!!! Anyway now I can get out and about as I need to. When you are driving in your vehicle say a quick prayer for me as I negotiate the local territory.

No comments: