Thursday, May 12, 2011

Maloney


This is a seat believe it or not! The men carry them with them and when they are ready they can just sit down or sometimes they use it to rest their heads on.


This morning we helped out in the clinic for a short time and then drove with Sabet and some of the medical staff to hold a clinic for the community of Maloney. There is just one building with an exam table in it and it seemed like it was in the middle of no where. Pretty soon after we arrived people started trickling in. I got assigned the pre natal patients. I had to have a quick refresher from the Kenyan doctor exactly what I needed to check for on these sweet ladies. The pre natal care is hit or miss. Sometimes the women don't want to walk to the clinic and if it's raining they definitely won't come. Understandable but frustrating. I learned that you can calculate due dates by counting how many moons have passed. We saw some interesting characters milling around while clinic was being held. We ended up having to pack up early because there was a thunderstorm and all 10 of us crowded into the tiny clinic room until the rain subsided. One of the patients did not have the required 2 pound fee ( $1) so gave us a chicken! The chicken rode under the seat back to the compound with us. We occasionally heard his protests as we had a pretty wild ride through the bush, with fresh puddles and pot holes.
Tonight while we were having our team devotional time Sabet came over to show us the scorpion he had just found. It looks like a small crustacean!!! They say the bigger they are the less potent their sting. I guess that's comforting :-) Large bats flying around at night also. Good thing I can get safely tucked into my mosquito net.

No comments: