


Woke up at 4:45 exactly this am. The reason I awoke was that I heard the distinct sound of gunfire.!!! Sabet had told us that this may happen because today is S.P.L.A. day. ( Sudanese Peoples Liberation Army) We had kind of expected it to happen last night. It's hard to describe to you what it's like laying in your bed hearing all kinds of guns being fired. Machine gun fire is very scary. We heard loud booms like mortars and a variety of other guns that I don't even know the names of. This lasted for about an hour. We had been told not to come outside as there is always the possibility of stray bullets. We were housed in a compound near the edge of town and could hear shots both near and far. As I lay there I could only imagine what it must be like for those in war like situations. I am post dating this blog and as I write, Southern Sudan may be on the verge of war again. How much more can these people take?
Today we helped out again in the clinic. I went with the midwife ( see photo ) as she had a lady in labor. Ashley from my team was also present. We stayed with this woman from about 9:30 am until she gave birth to a precious baby girl at 11:55 am. It was an amazing time in many ways. By 2:00pm mom was ready to go home, in fact she wanted to go at 1:00pm but we encouraged her to stay a little longer. I took photos of her and baby heading off home. Mom carried her bag and the sister carried the infant. Since it was not my camera I don't have them to show you. I have to say I was speechless as I watched them walk out the gate. These women are so tough. She did not cry out at all in labor and received no drugs.
I felt kind of weak and tired this afternoon, well after all I did just go through labor! After a rest I was asked to attend the service for young Isaac. Sabet, Lizi, Andrew and I went. The family were very glad to receive us. We were shown into the family hut, our hands were washed and we were served food and drinks. After a time we gathered outside with family and friends. Sabet, Andrew and I each spoke some words to the mourners. Isaac was buried right in the center of the family compound. On the top of one of the huts in the compound sat a vulture. It was a eerie sight. Death is always hovering in this harsh land.
I have included a photo that I took yesterday of a woman just sitting on the ground outside her hut. I am quite sure she has never seen what she looks like. I showed her the photo after I took it and she just stared at it with no facial expression. I gestured a few times and then I think she got it as a smile crept over her face. The last photo I have included for this day's blog is Sabet Kuj standing outside the compound of In Deed and Truth.
No comments:
Post a Comment