Friday, May 13, 2011

School visit





Started the day as I have most days by helping out in the kitchen. Elisabeth and I have tried to lighten the load for the kitchen staff by doing the dishes. We get water from the kettle that has been boiled over hot coals. Sometimes we carried breakfast food and coffee to the dining area. This photo shows the kitchen. We would be standing in the center front at the sink and we could watch as everyone in the compound started getting up and moving around.
After breakfast we walked to Tonj Academy where approx. 980 students attend classes. I have never seen any school like this before in Sudan. The principal and staff met with us and then allowed us to tour the school and speak in some of the classes. We broke off into groups. Cassandra actually sat in on classes to observe teachers and general class activity. She is currently writing education lessons that will be broadcast on the radio,just as I am writing health lessons. She gained a lot of insight from this visit. The rest of us went from class to class. In several classes we told Bible stories and then talked with the class. One class remains at the forefront in my mind. One of the students asked for Bibles, another for soccer balls. Andrew explained to them we did not come with written Bibles but the stories we told them, they could then go and tell their family and friends. None of us knows when the written word may be taken from us, but no one can take what's in our mind and heart. One of the young men in the class said they only had two hands and were doing what they could but they needed help. Andrew answered their question by saying we came with the hand of friendship and would tell others about their needs and that they should continue to pray and ask God for his help. See the hand of friendship on the photo.
As part of the school tour we visited the "cafeteria" Women make a mixture of sorghum and beans. We are talking hundreds of pounds of this mixture cooked in the huge pots, over hot coals. I included the dish washing crew. You can see a goat in the foreground who is apparently licking dishes dry! This is probably the only meal these students eat each day. Today was exceptionally hot, probably over 110. In class of about 60 students I noticed a jerry can inside the door with one mug which the students shared to get a drink from. We, the team, are all trying to stay hydrated.
Later in the afternoon Sabet and Suzy walked with us through the market in the main street of Tonj. Needless to say we got lots of looks. We even got to have cokes :-)
When we got back from our walk a few of us went to visit the young man, Isaac who was very ill. We gathered around his bed and prayed for him. We were about to leave and I felt strongly that a hymn would be appropriate. I asked Lizi with her beautiful voice if she would sing. She sang "How Great Thou Art" I had the overwhelming sense that is was nearing the end for him and this was like ushering him into heaven. A few hours later after supper we heard the loud sound of wailing. Isaac had died. It was a hard time as we listened to his distraught family.

No comments: