Today I thought I could tell you a little about the people I am surrounded by. In this part of the country I am among the Dinka tribe. They are one of the largest tribes in Southern Sudan. Some studies say there are over 1,000,000 people.
As I minister here every day I kind of have a front row seat to the local Dinka population. I am captivated by their tall stature, smooth dark, actually black skin and their overall beauty.
I like watching the mothers with their children, especially those who carry their babies in cow hide slings. Sometimes they have them in baskets with lids on them. It was a surprise the first time I saw a woman carrying a basket that I assumed had food or assorted things in it and then low and behold out came a baby.
All the photos you see were taken at the clinic as people waited their turn, except one woman and her child. The child is receiving treatment and they typically lay on a mattress out the back of the clinic getting IV's or cool sponges to decrease temperature.
Most of the younger women like me taking their photos, they especially like it when I show it to them . They giggle and nod to me in thanks. They look so serious here but when its over you should see the smiles :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment