Saturday, February 4, 2012

Odd Sight


Do you ever see something and your brain barely registers it, but it just strikes you as funny or odd? On Friday I was at the craft market. It was blazing hot so I tried to hang out in the shady areas. As I walked down the row where the ladies make baskets and goods from tree bark and such there was a lady getting a pedicure! What a pedicure? It just struck me as odd. I backed up and took in the scene again, yep, a pedicure was in progress. The woman probably earns way less than even the minimum wage for a Ugandan and most likely lives hand to mouth but here in East Africa at this time of year you get very dirty feet. It's so very dry and dusty.. The woman was sitting on a black tarp with her goods to sell all around. The guy has a small basket with his supplies and goes around cleaning feet, painting toenails etc. I guess they were both happy in the end, her with clean, pretty feet and he with money in his pocket :-)

No comments: