Sunday, February 12, 2012

Getting ready

Preparation is a huge part of any trip into Southern Sudan. This upcoming trip is no exception. In fact this one for me is requiring a little bit more thought and planning as I will be staying a month instead of the usual 10 days. I am writing this Sunday afternoon and I currently have approximately 14hours before I will be taking off. My trunk is packed. It weighs around 40 lbs and my backpack weighs around 10 lbs. Every pound has to be accounted for as the M.A.F pilot has to have correct weight and balance. This means I have to be weighed too. No cheating here :-)
Just in case you are wondering what I have in my trunk I'll review with you. I need personal fans as the current daytime temperature is ranging between 104-110 F. The large one pictured takes 2- D cell batteries. They are heavy since I need replacements. I have a smaller fan just in case and a little fan for really hot times in the day when I feel like passing out ( just joking) I have some nurses scrubs so that I can work in the clinic and then some clothes for the evening and weekend. I have some nursing resource books, snack food for when I get the munchies, some chocolates for the clinic staff since it may be Valentines Day when we arrive. I also have my Bible and B.S.F lessons so I can keep up with my class. Well anyway that's most of it with a few other odds and ends. I will try and post again early morning from the airstrip but if I don't, keep watching for updates as I go on this big adventure.

No comments: