Well I kind of left you with a cliff hanger yesterday but was so tired I didn't feel like more detail. So let me recap. We had been on the In Deed and Truth compound for about 2 hours and I was unpacking in my room when someone was calling to me that help was needed in the clinic. It was wild and crazy. Like a war zone in a way with people and blood everywhere. There were gunshot woulds to the neck, back, arm, leg and other assorted injuries related to a cattle raid. We are in the midst of the Dinka tribe. Their cows are the proud possessions. The cows are their financial wealth. For example to get married you must pay so many cows for your wife. Sometimes I guess people get desperate or greedy and take cows from another tribe. This causes gunfire. Three patients ended up going to Wau by ambulance. It's a horrific ride some 3-4 hours by ambulance for only slightly better care. ( they have X ray, we do not)
We enjoyed a meal of spaghetti and I had brought some chocolate to share with staff here but it had to be refrigerated overnight as temperatures of 110 aren't good for chocolate:-)
Spent a fitful night, getting used to the heat, bed, night sounds etc.
Today, I was a full fledged clinic team member. I was asked to work on wound dressings. I did about 12-15. All kinds of wounds in many different parts of the body. I also checked on patients in observation. One woman was there with one month old twins. One of the twins was dehydrated and sickly. The mother had been giving it cows milk. I spent much time with the translator explaining to her she had to drink water herself to be able to have milk to feed her baby. They don't understand and think it's funny. They only drink when they eat. Sweat was pouring off her and I tried to explain the whole dehydration thing. It's frustrating. I got her to drink a mug full and told her I will be back to check. I will go there soon.
In other news on the compound Kerry, Wayne and Simon have been working all morning getting the satellite system up and ready for when the radio tower construction is completed in a few weeks. Fortunately some shade was provided for them.
Well that's it for here in Tonj today. For those of you who like to see where people are on Google earth here are the coordinates for you 7 degrees, 16 mins or ' 39.80" N and 28 degrees , 40 mins or' and 59.30"E Hoe that's is clear for you. I don't get it myself :-( so hope you can find me.
No comments:
Post a Comment