Friday, February 24, 2012

Faces and places


Remember a while back I said I would try and introduce you to some of the people here on the compound. Today I would like you to meet Esther. She came here year ago from her home in Kenya. She is currently helping IDAT with administrative duties. Esther is soft spoken and exudes kindness and compassion. As I said she doesn't say that much so I was very shocked on Wednesday evening when we all gathered for the weekly prayer time and she prayed. She really knows how to talk to God.


I would also like you to meet a sweet little girl that has been coming to the clinic for an infected finger. She does not have any adult with her and she apparently comes from far away.


Here you can see she's all dressed up in her best dress. Since we don't do dressing changes over the weekend we give patients materials for doing the dressings at home. We gave her the gauze, disinfectant and tape and explained what we wanted her to do. She seems to understand well and went on her way. Such a  brave little girl. There are many like her here. I have never seen such courage and strength.



Yesterday there was a girl I would guess was around 3 years old. Her left thigh had been burned with hot soup. It was a second degree burn. I had to change her dressing. I was extremely gentle. She never once flinched or made the slightest cry as I took off the old dressing, cleaned her leg and put new dressing on.



Well, as the title of today's blog said People and Places
I will now tell you about one of the exciting places on
compound. Right behind the room where I am staying the new radio tower is being built.

Yesterday and today local men have been building rooms to house the generator and transmitter. The bricks have been made here on the compound as well. It's hot , laborious work. The have to load the wheel barrow with heavy bricks and then bring it over to the building site.

This photo was taken yesterday so the walls are about finished today. It will be given time to settle over the weekend and then hopefully the roof will go on next week.

No comments: